Here at Lights, Jesus is the person we talk about most.
So who is he and why is he important?
John 3:16 says “For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.”
Jesus is the Son of God who became human, to live a perfect life and die for us, so we could have eternal life. It sounds crazy right – who the heck would love us that much, and why was dying necessary?
Here’s 5 simple, key points about what we believe at Lights:
- God created the whole world including us – and he made it perfectly. He loved us so much he made us in his OWN IMAGE and had a personal relationship with us (he didn’t just make everything and then sit back/disappear).
- God gave us a choice – to follow his way or go our own way. We turned our backs on God and decided to live as we wanted to – this is called sin.
- The Bible tells us that the punishment for sin is death. So God can justly let us all die and go to hell.
- But God didn’t – because he loves us. He loves us so much that he sent his son Jesus to die INSTEAD of us, taking our punishment which we deserved. Jesus died a horrible death on a cross (which is why it is one of the symbols of Christianity), and then he rose again after conquering death.
- So now there’s a choice – Jesus took away the sin that stopped us having a relationship with God. If we believe in Jesus, then God will give us ETERNAL LIFE.
At Lights, we pray that God can help you become a Christian by believing in Jesus. If you want to find out more or were confused by any of this, please come along to Lights or keep reading. We would love to hear your questions and help you get to know Jesus!